Saturday, October 3, 2009

GANBARE!


I peruse flickr a lot lately. I always end up favoriting a lot of images taken by talented folks in asian countries. It's probably because I like what's in the photo, mostly. it could be a great photo of somewhere in europe and I might not like it as much. I love the atmosphere of most asian countries--although I've only been to one. maybe the rest remind me of that one.

you know when you see an old flame and that fire was never put out? it pings you in stomach or your heart skips a beat? I feel that way about japan. how dorky is that. when I see pictures of subway trains, I get a ping. when I see vending machines with milk tea in them, I get a ping. when I see a photo of dark alleyway with wires hanging over and lanterns lighting late night ramen shops, my heart pings. when I see photos of the open countryside with a single telephone pole, some middle school children in uniforms pushing their bikes down a path where certain foliage exists exclusively to japan... my heart hurts. udon, wooden sandals, hirigana, multiple vertical signage, godzilla, EVERYTHING! JAPAN! I left my heart in japan.

I want to go back and live there in a year. teach english, or do whatever I can to live there. my friend/roommate is going in april for 3 weeks. then her and her girlfriend are moving there a year from now. I am jealous, because they are so sure of it. I miss it. I feel like japan is cheating on me with her. I want japan all to myself (of course I'll share with the japanese). I will try my hardest to reach this goal (the living there one, not the owning it one), because it's not going to not happen.

japan, you light my life. I wish you would love me back.